The task of ECTA is to promote the knowledge and professionalism of members and owners alike in the fi elds of trade marks, designs and related rights, within the European Union.
ECTA brings together persons and companies practising or engaged in the Member States of the European Union in the fields of trade marks, designs and related IP rights. This includes attorneys, lawyers practising in industry and private practice, advisors, agents and all others who can be
considered specialist practitioners in these areas. ECTA also attracts many practitioners from non-EU Member States. The extensive work carried out by the Association to date, combined with the high degree of professionalism and recognised capabilities of its members, has elevated ECTA to the highest level.
As a result of its work and actions, ECTA has achieved the status of a recognised expert on all issues related to the protection and use of trade marks, designs, domain names, indications of origin, and other business indicators throughout the European Union, especially by the EU legal bodies, OHIM, courts, boards and agencies.
In order to realise its objectives ECTA:
- Maintains permanent contact with and is recognised by Eurid, European Commission, European Council, European Parliament, OHIM, OLAF and WIPO as well as national Patent and Trade Mark Offi ces.
- Maintains a high quality Website to give up-to-date information to the Members-www.ecta.eu
- Produces Flash newsletters to update members on relevant IP matters
- Publishes opinions and useful Law Books on relevant IP matters, giving in one edition all the relevant legislation on a given subject.
- Organises annual Conferences in different countries of the European Union. The conferences address issues concerning trade marks, designs and other related IP rights within the European Union and Comparative International Law. Transcriptions of lectures and discussions are provided to participants after the conference.
- Organizes Workshops around the EU on hot topics in relevant fields.
- Arranges annual Joint Meetings with sister Associations - APRAM, BMM, ITMA, GRUR, MARQUES and UNION.
- Maintains active links with AIM, AIPLA, AIPPI, APAA, ASIPI, BUSINESSEUROPE, FICPI and INTA.
- Takes initiatives regarding various IP matters and shares these with other organisations as well as European and National authorities.